Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Observation

Part of my yoga school training is to take 3 classes per week and observe once class.  Last week I observed a class for the first time.  I have to be honest, it made me sleepy.  No it wasn't boring, but I love practicing yoga.  To watch yoga is something totally different.  Today's class that I observed was a challenging class and I didn't get to participate so that was a my challenge.  All in all it was a good experience because it makes me aware of what things I need to be observing and adjusting in my classes when I begin to teach.

I know that people teach differently.  My teacher does hands on adjustments.  Not all yoga teachers do that.  I actually appreciate the hands on adjustments, but not everyone will.  Some teachers get next to the student and demonstrate the posture to them if they are having challenges, and others simply talk the class through the postures.  I think that I will do a bit of all three.

This is a new week.  I have 3 classes to take (Taking one today at 5:15 @ Irene's Myomassology Institute) and one to observe.  I'm thinking about observing a Kundalini Yoga class soon @ Yoga Troy.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog. Do you know about these yoga books?

    http://www.yogavidya.com/freepdfs.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I am reading Hatha Yoga Pradipika, and of course the Gita. I've heard of Siva Samhita yet have not read it never heard of the Gheranda Samhita.

    ReplyDelete