Saturday, June 4, 2011

Real talk... Real adults

Today was a day where something just felt out of whack for me and I felt kind of.... Well, depressed. Sometimes it ebbs and flows.  But as I felt this sadness the first thought that came to my head was, "when I get home, I'm going to do yoga."  It's the thing that works for me no matter what I'm going through.  I've never gotten off of my mat wishing I wouldn't have done that.  The next thought for me was, "wow I can totally see how someone could use alcohol or drugs to escape the pain of life."  The truth is that we use many different things to escape pain.  Yoga teaches us that pain exists in this world and we can accept it, experience it, and let it fall away like leaves in the autumn breeze or we can allow it to shape our existence. 
Life is a series of choices.  When I started to feel low, I could have chosen to drink alcohol or take drugs, or eat a comforting food.  But because of my determination to be consistent with my yoga practice, yoga is there for me when I need it.   The mere act of practicing made it the first tool that I reached for when difficulties arise. Yoga has become a practice that fuels growth, self reflection, inner calm, balance and poise.  Yes as one of my yoga teachers always reminds me:  "The real yoga is off the mat!"

On the mat I go!


Namasté

No comments:

Post a Comment