Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Study to show thyself approved

I was sitting here reading, studying the yoga sutras and answering homework questions.  All of a sudden I found myself lost in the Sanskrit invocation to Patanjali.  I was supposed to be answering what the five kleshas (obstacles) are.  The chanting of the Sanskrit words lifted my consciousness.  There was a noticeable vibrational change that was so obvious to me while chanting.  I felt a subtle concentrated energy in my third eye.  I've always felt that there was something to chanting that just lifts the mind out of worldly consciousness. Even though I was a bit sidetracked from my homework, I was determined to intone these difficult Sanskrit words that were strung together like a tight string of pearls.  There was a sweetness to it, during and after that chanting.  It calmed my mind and made me unaware of obstacles.  Maybe that was just what I needed because I was trying to study and solve my summer childcare problem at the same time, with some feelings of consternation. Those Sanskrit verses gave me a break from the obstacle that I was ruminating on.
  One of the earlier questions in my homework was: Practicing Kriya Yoga brings what results?  My answer: it decreases obstacles and brings samadhi.  Well, I don't have samadhi yet, but the self imposed suffering from the obstacle has certainly decreased.  Kriya yoga in this instance means the yoga of action (not the spiritual technique given through initiation).  By the action (kriya yoga) of chanting this invocation to the great sage Patanjali, the waves of my mind were stilled (Chitta Vritti Nirodhah).  Yes, there are many different ways to practice yoga and it is moving and proving itself in my life the more I study and practice.  This reminds me of when I was a little girl, my mom gave me a bible and in it she wrote "Study to show thyself approved" (2 Timothy 2:15).  Though she didn't know it at the time, I would certainly follow that path, in yoga it is called svadhyaya (self study).


This is yoga off the mat!




Namasté

1 comment:

  1. Study in India along with an experiential based learning program, provided by SAPI Asia. SAPI caters to off-beat courses on Ayurveda, Yoga and Culture studies. Enroll today and get enlightened for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete