Monday, July 11, 2011

Pearl Jam and the Bhagavad Gita.... (messages in music)

 I was reading the Bhagavad Gita while listening to a song by Pearl Jam called Immortality. At the exact same time that I was reading the word "immortality" in the Gita, Eddie Vedder belted out the word "immortality".  It became one of those moments where I said to myself,  "what is the message for me here?" The verse about immortality reads: "One who is unmoved by circumstances. One who accepts pleasure and pain with equanimity is fit for immortality!" I am struggling with this reality (it is more than a mere concept!
I am told that I obsess about things, and it is true, whether good or bad I have a tendency to obsess.  How can one with obsessive characteristics be equanimous? I don't have an answer for that.  All I know is that I keep practicing yoga and at times the worries just melt away.  The thoughts are there, but they are beneath the surface and I am not constantly focused on them.  Yoga does help me to create new avenues or patterns of thought in place of the obsessive thought train that keeps stuck on a broken record.  There are times when my mind gets the best of me and I just can't seem to get unstuck.  Am I discouraged?  No.  I know that I have to continue to practice until it becomes second nature.  In time with assiduous practice the realization will come that whatever will be will be and it is truly all good.  It already comes now in glimpses, but one day it will be an ever present knowing.  For now I guess I will just have to fake it until I make it or rather assume the virtue until it has become me.


~This is yoga off the mat!


No comments:

Post a Comment